National Harbor truck attack suspect diagnosed with mental disorder


[ad_1]

A man from Maryland accused of plotting a 2019 Islamic State-inspired attack on a shopping and entertainment complex near Washington, DC, has been diagnosed with delusional disorder.

GREENBELT, Md. (AP) – A man from Maryland accused of plotting an Islamic State-inspired attack on a shopping and entertainment complex near Washington, DC, was diagnosed with a delusional disorder and refused to take Psychotropic drugs while in federal custody last year, the judge said Thursday in a court file.

U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis has agreed to extend Rondell Henry’s court-ordered hospital stay for up to four months. The judge ruled in February 2020 that there was ample evidence that Henry was not mentally fit to stand trial.

Thursday’s file reveals that a forensic psychologist employed by the Federal Bureau of Prisons provided the court with a November 20 report in which she expressed her opinion that Henry could not be tried while suffering from a delusional disorder. Previous court orders did not specify the nature of Henry’s mental illness or say he refused to take medication.

Neither prosecutors nor a defense attorney have objected to extending Henry’s hospital stay for psychiatric and psychological treatment designed to make him fit to stand trial. Xinis scheduled a May 5 call with the attorneys for an update on Henry’s status.

Henry, 29, of Germantown, Maryland, is accused of attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, the Islamic State group.

Police arrested Henry in March 2019 after seeing him exit a stolen U-Haul van and jump over a security fence at National Harbor, a popular waterfront destination just outside the national capital. Henry told investigators he was planning to carry out an attack like the one in which a driver ran over and killed dozens of people in Nice, France, in 2016, authorities said.

A federal prosecutor said Henry intended to kill as many “disbelievers” as possible.

Prosecutors said Henry watched ISIS propaganda videos showing foreign terrorists beheading civilians and fighting overseas. Investigators said they recovered a phone that Henry threw on a highway in an apparent attempt to cover up evidence, including images of the Islamic State flag, armed Islamic State fighters and the man who carried out the Pulse nightclub massacre in 2016 in Orlando, Florida.

Henry is a naturalized US citizen who moved to the country from Trinidad and Tobago over ten years ago.

Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to start a conversation about this and other articles.

Get the latest news and daily headlines delivered to your inbox by signing up here.

© 2021 OMCP. All rights reserved. This website is not intended for users located in the European Economic Area.


[ad_2]

Comments are closed.